The Smoky Brown Cockroach
Cockroaches have been on planet earth since the Jurassic era. Over the time, they have developed a lot of changes according to the habitat which led to the development of several species. One such species is Smoky brown cockroach which is a source of spreading several diseases. This article throws light on the specific traits of smoky brown cockroach and how you can control them.
HOW TO IDENTIFY SMOKY BROWN COCKROACHES
The Smoky brown cockroach has been given this name because of its color. It has a shiny, uniform mahogany color. It is rendered as a close relative of the American cockroach because of few similar characteristics. It is smaller in size as compared to the American cockroach, and the adult smoky brown cockroaches are about 38mm long.
The young ones are quite small ranging around 8 millimeters in size. They have small stingers which are used at the time of preying while also have true antennae on their head. They also have wings attached to the body which in most cases are bigger than their body size and help them in flying.
Generally, the Smoky brown cockroaches feed upon organic debris and plant matter. Their female cockroaches produce around 400 eggs. The average lifespan of smoky brown cockroaches is 200-300 days in favorable climatic conditions. They are excellent fliers and can easily fly from trees to houses.
Smoky brown cockroaches are nocturnal roaches and are usually witnessed at night, roaming around for food near landscaping beds, around gutters, near wood piles and close to the front part of the house. Presence of their droppings near their hideouts and their egg cases are other signs hinting towards Smoky brown cockroach infestation.
HOW DO YOU GET SMOKY BROWN COCKROACHES
The 1st attraction for these cockroaches towards your home is Water, they are prone to dehydration, and therefore they stay in close proximity with water source. If water is accumulated in your home due to any reason, or the roofs are leaking, all of them are a good incentive for the Cockroach to be in your home.
Usually the bright lights of the houses draw attention of Smoky-brown Cockroaches at night and if they are living on nearby trees or plants, they fly to make entry in your home. Trash bins and pet food containers placed outdoors also attract Smoky-brown Cockroaches.
Ventilation areas, windows, gaps around doors, cracks and crevices give them pathway to invade your house. They usually are found near leaf litter, mulches, wood piles, under gutters and shingles feasting upon decaying organic matter.
HOW TO GET RID OF SMOKY BROWN COCKROACHES
Now let’s look at few of the methods to get rid of the Smoky Brown Cockroach.
- Determine their crawlspace and the conditions they are thriving upon indoors and then directly treat them to control their population.
- Proper ventilation is essential to get rid of Smoky Brown Cockroaches because they dry out in the speedy air. Ensure the ventilation of their crawl-spaces.
- Seal the cracks, gaps, and holes to avoid giving them safe passage to your house.
- Dispose of debris and trash and put your pet’s food bowl indoors at night.
- If there is any water leakage in your home, try to fix it immediately.
- Focus on the cleaning and sanitation and regularly vacuum to restrict the movement of roaches.
- Smoky-brown cockroaches are vulnerable to the Delta Dust and BorActin dust. Find their hideouts and spray the dust over there. It will kill them.
- There are several cockroach killing baits available in the market, place them in the basements and crawl spaces of roaches.
- Contact sprays are some sort of instant cockroach killers. As soon as the Cockroach comes into contact with the spray content, it’ll be killed.
- Smoky brown Cockroach saliva can cause asthma and allergies among people because of a specific type of protein present in it.
- They got attracted towards house lights.
- Their favorite food is bird droppings.